Job Description: Educator
The Phillips Wharf Environmental Center is a 501(c) nonprofit whose mission is to encourage, educate, and engage Chesapeake Bay stewards of all ages through interactive experiences showcasing the Bay’s ecosystem and its inhabitants. These programs include the Fishmobile, a traveling aquarium that brings the Chesapeake Bay to schools, fairs, and other events. The goal of our work is to create a network of environmental stewards who are connected to the Bay and make daily decisions that support healthy ecosystems.
Phillips Wharf is seeking a flexible and energetic person to assist with educational programming and animal care part time. The right candidate loves working with children, learning, and is available beginning in August or September. This is a seasonal position running through November, with the possibility of extension.
The schedule will be 3-4 days per week at our Easton location.
The Educator position will report to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors. The essential duties and responsibilities include;
- Having a flexible schedule in order to be available for a variety of educational programs that will be scheduled for both weekdays and weekends.
- Assisting with field trip programs, including set up, teaching/leading a variety of learning stations, and clean up.
- Supporting Fishmobile programming through set up and clean up of the Fishmobile, educating guests on the animals and displays inside the Fishmobile. Please note that no prior animal knowledge is needed, just a willingness to learn.
- Assisting with the care of animals that are used in Fishmobile programming, including feeding, water changes, environmental control, and tank cleaning.
- Handling live animals during educational programs and tank cleaning.
There will also be optional opportunities to gain experience and skills in areas of interest including but not limited to, designing new educational programs, writing articles for our monthly newsletter, coordinating education workshops, designing logos, fliers, and other promotional material, developing and implementing fundraisers and other events, and supervising interns and volunteers.
Experience working with students in an educational setting, either formal or informal.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Biology, Environmental Science or related fields.:
Be at least 18 years of age.
Have a US Driver’s License.
Be able to lift at least 40 pounds.
Have reliable transportation to and from the Phillips Wharf Environmental Center in Easton, MD.
Pass a background check.
If you have questions, don’t hesitate to reach out by email – [email protected].
If you’d like to apply, please send a resume and a brief email with your availability to the same email address.